Wednesday, 13 July 2016

June Reading Wrap-Up

June was not the best reading month for me. I read 4 books, which despite being low is still a number I am quite proud of considering I graduated high school this month. Recently, I was hired for a full time cashier at a thrift store, which means reading and blogging may not be as successful as it has been lately. However, I am still going to try and post frequently! Here are the 4 books I read this month.


1. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini: 4/5


This book was really good. The characters were so complex, and I love that this book truly felt like a memoir despite being literary fiction. Fair warning, this book is really sad. So sad that at times it was hard to read. However, that is part of what made me like the book so much. Parts of the book were a bit slow, but overall I really loved the story!












2. Spirit Bound - Richelle Mead (re-read): 5/5


I love this series, and this book did not disappoint in my re-read! I loved the storyline; it was so fast-paced and interesting. I think this is one of my favorites of the series as I love the direction the story takes, particularly all of the plot twists at the end. Also, these characters are so precious to me, they are so special and I absolutely love them. I will be finishing my series re-read in July!














3. We Were Liars - E. Lockhart: 2.5/5

I enjoyed this book, so don't let my rating stop you from reading this. Goodreads classifies 2 stars as "it was okay", and that's exactly what this book was. I thought it was really fast paced, but I never got attached in the characters; while I enjoyed the storyline, the characters fell flat for me. I also knew parts of the ending of this book before starting it, so it wasn't as big of a surprise as it should have been.

This book was alright, but it did disappoint me a bit.










4. The Square Root of Summer: 1/5

I actually wrote a review for this book, which you can find here.

8 comments:

  1. Yikes! I was looking forward to Square Root of Summer. Hate you didn't like it. I've been interested in picking up The Kite Runner for years. I need to hunt for it at the thrift store and give it a shot. Looks like you had a good month, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you decide to pick it up let me know what you think!! You do, The Kite Runner is so good! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. I've only read The Kite Runner of these four, but that one is just amazing. Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns? I can really recommend that one too. Btw, I think four books in a month is quite good ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but I want to! I bought it last month and I am hoping to read it soon. Haha, thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Not gonna lie, when I saw your list, my jaw dropped, because these are all books I've actually heard of before (there are sometimes lists where I've never heard of the books before). I've read Spirit Bound and We Were Liars, and whilst I enjoyed Spirit Bound a lot, I did feel a bit let down by We Were Liars - a lot of people told me it was really good, and idk, I just wasn't attached to the characters? Anyway The Kite Runner AHHH! So glad you really liked it, because I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author and I was considering picking up the Kite Runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree so many blog posts have lists of books I haven't heard of - it's nice to know the books people are talking about! I had the same problem with We Were Liars!! I really want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns, so now im excited to hear you liked it! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  4. I had a slow reading month as well. I have The Kite Runner, but I haven't read it yet. I haven't read any of the books you mentioned in this post. I really want to read We Were Liars too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy The Kite Runner when you get to it, it was such an amazing book! :) Thanks for the comment!!

      Delete